Thursday, June 26, 2008

Jülich - Day 2

Alan headed off to work again so I am posting about my day, which is probably more interesting for you all to read about. :)

I headed outside to explore more and right outside the hotel I found it was market day! Not quite Saturday market Eugene but it did make me smile. Fresh fruit and veggies, candy, breads, fresh meat and fish, flowers, and a people. I picked up some fruit for the train ride to Paris and a few other treats and continued on to take pictures.

As I walked, the church bells rang. It is a small church but it still has some clang to it. Every half hour and every hour here you hear something. If it isn't the church, it is the metal tree with bells in further down the road. If it isn't the bells, then their is a Euro Cup 2008 game on. (Yep, tonight it was Spain vs. Russia.) After walking for several hours, I decided to find lunch. I stopped in at this bakery/meat counter place and spent a good couple hours eating slowly and watching the goings on. Wow, there were a lot of customers. They had about 6 ladies working out front, two in back cooking up stuff, and one more behind the bread counter. I was there a couple hours and lost track of how many people came in. Schnitzel, potato salad, and sausages were the main sellers.

The bread has been really tasty, I have had a couple of tasty pretzels. The meat situation is very interesting. Crazy stuff in the case and I could only understand some of what it was. I can tell they are not afraid of gelatin here though. There was this vegetable/egg mix in gelatin that a couple of people bought. I had to get a picture of it because it looked so strange. The other funny thing is that they handle everything with their bare hands (and arms). One of the ladies just kept walking out of the back with sausage links strung all over her arms.

Not much else in Jülich today. Tomorrow we take a train to Paris.

No comments: